Wednesday, September 30, 2009

10.1.09 factory visit

I had arranged through work that I visit the Yupoong plant in Bien Hoa. This factory manufactures many hats that we design and electronically produce for the nfl, nba, and nhl, So at 0900 I met the driver outside our hotel and we were on our way. The drive lasted 40 minutes ...traveling NE through a myriad of traffic...mostly scooters with either 1,2, or 3 aboard. There were as many women drivers a men -scooter savvy is across both sexes. Arrival at the factory to see my name displayed on an ornate welcome podium and was greeted by Jeong Joon Mo, Adm Manager . He intro'd me SH Kang, Genral Director, and we proceeded to a welcome room to discuss my tour. A very cordial beginning. The plant employs 2000 workers, mostly women. As we toured the plant and all of the processes in sequence for hat production there was no doubt I was being accompanied by the big bosses...bows were omipresent.
I will be brief here with tour synopsis. The Korean based compsny est. this plant in 2002 seeing the economic opportunity in Vietnam...as many companies are now experiencing...and success has followed. Our tour was insightful for me...they were extremely gracious as hosts and knowing my wife was here on business Mr Kang presented to me a silk scarf as a gift.
Following several handshake photgraphs I was on my way back to Saigon.

Upon my return, while Nancy still at a college fair I decide to take to the streets and face the scooter hoardes.

No comments:

Post a Comment