Tuesday, September 29, 2009

9.30.09- the flight

It is 4:44am.
I arrived after one of the longest travel days in a long time. The flight from Chicago to Tokyo took a more northerly route...overlooking the Queen Elizabeth Islands...barren chalk-like expanses of tundra. We flew a bit over Russia (I can see Russia from my plane window! Didn't someone say that recently?) as we made the turn south. An arduous plane ride in tight spaces. Music is the healer in my book... ipod, a book and imagination. I have started "The Battle for Hue". I have been listening to the Beyman Bros.
My seat neighbor was an engineer from Honda traveling with colleagues for a 3 week introduction for the new CRV.
They will take part in design meetings while sitting around a life-size clay mock up of the car.
The interior is a separate mock up as well.

From Tokyo to HCMC (Ho Chi Minh City) a 5 plus hour flight. I had heard Ketsana had already hit Danang and 100,000 people were evacuated. I could see thunder from above as we made our way over Corregidor and Manila.

A Japanese business man my neighbor on this flight. Two sons...the youngest a fledgling "Kondo"
trainee...the eldest a challenging 17 year old who loves scooters. We were barely able to communicate but with patience on both sides managed to share much about out trips, our family and Obama.

I am always fascinated by the dress style of young Japanese women...funky layerings of contemporary see thru fabrics, waist high sweaters, whacky sneakers and black stockings. Each one I see carries her own signature style in a "break all rules" sort of way...I like it.

touchdown HCMC

No comments:

Post a Comment