Tuesday, September 29, 2009

HCMC arrival

I could not believe that the lights below me was Saigon. Better yet...Nancy just minutes away.

I had never been to Saigon. Most USMC units were stationed in the northern section of South Vietnam...for me...I was SW of Danang in the north...so...first time here.

I must have been the first person to have my bag show thru the turnstyle. I knew that Nancy had arranged the Sheraton to have a driver there so as I direct myself to exit the airport I am staring at a sea of faces gathered at the front exit of the airoort. It reminded me of the Beatles movie A Hard Days Night. This must be the customary waiting area for all arrivals...outside behind a roped line and you walk the guantlet to get where you need to go. All that is missing is a red carpet. I found my contact...he called for my car and the driver, Long, and I proceeded to engage in conversation...the war, what I do, and of course...futebol! He was a Maradona fan.

So...a 20 minutes taxi ride to the Sheraton...directly adjacent to the famous REX hotel.
I go to the front desk...ask for the room key and go to the 15th floor...knock on the door (it's 11:15pm) and Nancy, with her beautiful smile...opens the door...and we embrace and laugh at the same time. As Greg Brown had sung once..."Who'd a thunk it"

We are concerned about how our plans may change for our northerly trip to Danang. There's been considerable damage to the coastal areas where we are scheduled to travel to. Nancy's college fair in Danang, which she was really looking forward to...may be cancelled. There is flooding, no power so we have no way as of yet to determine what will transpire...so stay tuned.

This morning I will be picked up to visit the Yupoong plant. This will be fun.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that most places you visit outside of the U.S. follow futebol. It's definitely a worldwide sport.
    It appears that Mother Nature is hitting many parts of the world at this time of year. Probably global warming. Have a safe trip to Yupong and if you catch any mistakes let us know. Do they have filemaker pro?

    ReplyDelete